Victims of sexual violence are encouraged to report the incidents to proper authorities so that the right action can be taken against the perpetrator. The affectees of such crimes can be affected emotionally, psychologically, and physically; and serious action in such cases needs to be taken so that a criminal lawsuit can be filed against them. The victims are also able to file a civil lawsuit if criminal charges have not been brought against the perpetrator by the judicial system. A successful case can help provide a means to recovery for the victim by providing justice and financial compensation. A good and qualified sexual assault lawyer would be able to explain all the available legal choices.
When you need to hire sexual assault lawyers, there are several crucial factors to consider. This article will help you in hiring the best lawyer for your case.
How Sexual Assault Can Affect Victims
If you or your loved one have been a victim of such a heinous crime, pressing charges can help victims to recover emotionally, claim compensation and stop the perpetrator to assault other people in the future.
Knowing how sexual assault can affect victims is crucial before you hire a lawyer. The reactions and effects that occur as a result of sexual violence vary for every victim.
It’s essential to note that there’s no right or wrong way to feel about sexual assault. Some impacts that survivors often experience include:
- Shame: A survivor may feel they’re permanently flawed or like they did something wrong.
- Denial: Survivors might initially deny the occurrence happen or minimize its severity.
- Guilt: Sometimes, survivors will place the blame upon themselves, especially in the case where the perpetrator was someone close to them.
- Dissociation: A survivor might dissociate as the event happens or when another event or memory triggers feelings experienced at the time of occurrence.
- Isolation: Many victims will isolate themselves following the assault as they may not feel they deserve support or have the necessary community or support system.
Long-term effects of sexual assault might include:
- The development of PTSD
- Mood swings
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Developing poor eating habits
- Difficulties with relationships
- Trust issues
- Localized pain
Who’s Liable in Sex Abuse Cases if they happen at a Workplace?
Knowing who’s liable in sex abuse cases will help survivors when they hire sexual assault lawyers. In addition to the perpetrator being liable, other parties might be responsible as well:
- Employers: It’s an employer’s responsibility to foster a healthy work environment. For example, an employer might be held liable for sexual abuse if they knew the sexual assault was occurring but made no efforts to stop it, such as responding to complaints or hiring an employee with a known history of sexual assault.
- Premises liability: Sexual assault can happen anywhere, including a place of business. A business might be liable for a civil lawsuit if sexual abuse occurred on their property partly due to their negligence.
Reasons to Hire Sexual Assault Lawyers
Whether going to civil court or settling outside the courts, hiring a sexual assault lawyer can significantly help in getting you the justice you deserve.
The Right Amount of Experience
When you hire a sexual assault lawyer, you’re hiring someone knowledgeable of the law. Ideally, you want to hire a lawyer that specializes in sexual assault. They will know the latest laws and are likely to have worked on similar cases.
A Criminal Conviction Isn’t Needed
Ideally, the perpetrator should be criminally convicted to strengthen your case and help bring about justice. However, your lawyer can still help you sue for damages in a civil court even without criminal charges.
Calculating the Value of Your Case
Determining the value of your case and the damages you should receive are not always straightforward. Factors like pain and suffering don’t carry an exact monetary value. A lawyer can help determine what your case is worth.
- The right lawyer will fight for you: The right lawyer on your side will fight on your behalf. In addition, your lawyer can negotiate with insurance companies and apply legal pressure when necessary.
- Reduce your overall stress: Dealing with the aftermath of sexual assault takes a tremendous toll on a person’s mental and physical health. Although a lawyer can’t eliminate much of this stress, they can help eradicate legal stress and headaches.
The Difference Between Civil and Criminal Sexual Abuse Cases
A few differences exist between civil and criminal sexual abuse cases. In a civil case, the survivor or their family brings a case against the attacker. Their lawyers investigate the case, and a jury can award damages if they find that the abuser is liable.
In a criminal case, however, the state rather than the survivor pursues the case. If the court doesn’t charge the attacker with a criminal conviction, you may still bring a civil lawsuit against them.
Seek the Right Help!
Dealing with sexual abuse of any level is a traumatic and stressful ordeal. Unfortunately, navigating legal requirements on your own increases this stress. When you hire sexual assault lawyers from Ferrante & Dill, you can trust us that we will work hard to fight for your compensation and justice.
Call Ferrante & Dill, LLC, at (410) 535-6100 to schedule a consultation with our law firm and discuss the details of your case. We’ll gladly take the time to listen and help you navigate this challenging and complex process.