Car accidents can happen anywhere at any time. While some may only result in minor property damage, other car accident cases can lead to wrongful deaths.
Knowing how to find a lawyer for an unfortunate event such as a car accident can help you and your family fight for compensation following another party’s negligence.
The population of Maryland is 6 million, and 115,000 accidents on average happen every year. These accidents impact people who are involved directly and indirectly financially, physically, and emotionally. Affected people have to endure a lot to recover entirely from car accidents. It is of utmost importance that you and your loved ones seek assistance from a well-reputed car accident attorney, who can help you recover from the harrowing trauma. When you hire a lawyer for your car accident case, there are some factors you should always consider.
How to Find a Good Car Accident Lawyer
Finding a good car accident lawyer starts with knowing what qualities to look for. Some qualities that you should take into account include:
- Specialized experience: You want an attorney with years of experience under their belt and who specializes in car accident cases. Be sure to ask any potential lawyer if they have experience working on cases similar to yours.
- How their payment model works: Many Maryland residents don’t hire a car accident lawyer due to costs. However, many attorneys use a contingency fee, meaning they get paid a percentage of the final settlement versus an hourly rate and retainer fee.
- Communication skills: Your lawyer’s ability to communicate effectively is crucial. Along with providing transparency for their clients, the right attorney should also be skilled at communicating with the courts and insurance companies.
- Reputation and references: You should hire a lawyer with an excellent reputation who can provide ironclad references upon request. Positive references from clients can help determine how they will handle your case.
When to Call a Lawyer After a Car Accident
Knowing when to call a lawyer after a car accident will depend upon the severity of the crash and the other party’s willingness to cooperate.
For example, a minor car accident might only require a quick call to the other party’s insurance company. On the other hand, severe damages to motor vehicles might need assistance for a car accident attorney.
Situations when you should call a car accident attorney, include:
- Accidents that cause significant damage to your vehicle or your physical health
- A car accident where you can’t clearly establish fault
- If you disagree with the official police report
- Crashes that involve another party such as a motorist, another car, truck, SUV, etc., or pedestrians
- Crashes that occurred in a construction or work zone
- When a crash involves an underinsured or uninsured driver
- When another party’s insurance company isn’t willing to negotiate or sends unclear messages
Typically, minor fender-benders won’t require assistance from a car accident attorney. However, situations that might need help from an attorney include:
- Minor collisions that result in a significant vehicle or property damage
- Problems that occur from dealing with insurance limits or car repairs
- Any injuries sustained to you or a passenger during the event
Even for minor collisions, scheduling a consultation with a lawyer can help determine if your case could benefit from legal representation.
What You Should Provide Your Lawyer With
Once you know how to find a lawyer for car accidents, you’ll need to gather vital information to help them build your case. Such information includes:
- Contact information
- An accurate police report
- Any crucial facts about your case, such as a written personal testimony
- Medical records
- Medical receipts or other financial documents
- Contact information from witnesses and any written statements
- Photos of the accident
How can You Benefit from Hiring a Car Accident Attorney?
Hiring a car accident attorney can be beneficial in many ways, such as:
- Negotiating with the insurance companies for a more realistic settlement that can help cover medical expenses, property damages, pain, suffering, etc.
- Your lawyer can help you file all the necessary paperwork without making any mistakes.
- Since most lawyers operate under a contingency fee, you won’t need to cover any upfront costs such as court fees. You won’t owe anything unless your lawyer wins your case if they use a contingency fee system.
- Your lawyer will conduct a thorough investigation to help you build a strong case.
Let Ferrante & Dill, LLC Help Today
Our Ferrante & Dill, LLC team can help you and your loved ones recover after a car accident. We proudly serve the community of Maryland by assisting families in fighting for the justice they deserve.
If you need to know how to find a lawyer for car accidents, call the Ferrante & Dill law firm today at (410) 535-6100. Our team is happy to help you understand your rights and navigate the legal system.
This blog post that is published by Ferrante & Dill is only available for informational purposes and should not be considered legal advice. By viewing these blog posts, the reader understands there is no attorney-client relationship between the blog publisher and the reader. The blog post should not be used as a substitute for legal advice from a licensed professional attorney, and we recommend readers to consult their own legal counsel on any specific legal questions concerning a specific situation.