Personal injury attorneys specialize in representing individuals/ parties who have suffered physical or emotional harm due to the negligent or wrongful actions of others. Their primary goal is to help their clients obtain fair compensation for their losses, including medical expenses, lost wages, injuries, mental duress, and other damages. Car accident cases can be tricky, but a professional and experienced personal injury attorney specializing in car accidents can help you get the justice you deserve. They perform various tasks such as evaluating your case, investigating claims, negotiating with insurance companies, representing clients in court, and handling post-trial matters.
Car accidents can result in severe life-altering physical injuries, emotional trauma, and financial distress for those involved. When you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident due to someone else’s negligence, it’s crucial to understand that you have your legal rights and you should seek compensation for your losses. In this comprehensive blog, we’ll discuss the role of a personal injury attorney in car accident cases and how they can support you throughout your journey to justice served.
Investigation of the Car Accident:
One of the first steps a personal injury attorney will take in a car accident case is to investigate the accident to determine liability thoroughly. This investigation may involve:
- Meticulously Reviewing of the police reports and witness statements so that no stone is left unturned
- Analyzing photographs and video footage of the accident scene as this evidence can show injuries, property damage, vehicle damage, and details that may help support your case
- Consulting with accident reconstruction experts for they can help with developing conclusions about the cause of the accident and how it unfolded
- Examining vehicle damage and skid marks, Assessing weather and road conditions
By gathering and analyzing this evidence, your personal injury attorney can build a strong case to prove the other party’s negligence and establish their responsibility for your injuries.
Evaluation of Damages
A personal injury attorney will also assess the full extent of your damages thoroughly, which may include the following:
- Medical expenses (past, present, and future)
- Lost wages and loss of earning capacity
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium (for spouses)
Your attorney will work with medical professionals, economists, and other experts to accurately determine the value of your claim depending on the severity and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your losses.
Negotiations with Insurance Companies
Insurance companies often prioritize their financial interests over the well-being of accident victims. A personal injury attorney will act as your advocate in negotiations with insurance adjusters, helping you navigate the claims process and protecting your rights. Most car accident cases are settled before they reach trial; however, it can take anywhere from 4 months to 2-3 years. It can depend on several factors:
- Complexity of collision
- Severity of injuries
- Court’s schedule
- Statute of Limitations
Your attorney will submit a demand letter outlining your claim, such as the compensation you expect. He’s also responsible for reviewing any settlement offers, advising you on whether they are fair and reasonable, and negotiating to maximize your compensation.
Preparation of Litigation
If a fair settlement cannot be reached through negotiation, your personal injury attorney will prepare to take your case to court. The next steps would be:
- Filing a lawsuit on your behalf
- Obtaining service of process; after the lawsuit is filed, the party who caused the car accident must be served the lawsuit paperwork. Once they are served, they are then provided a limited amount of time to answer.
- Conducting discovery, including admissions, depositions, and document requests
- Engaging in pre-trial motions and hearings
- Preparing for trial, including developing trial strategy and assembling evidence
- Your attorney will represent you in court, presenting your case to a judge and jury and advocating for your right to compensation.
Ensuring You Receive the Compensation You Deserve
Once a settlement has been reached, or a verdict has been rendered in your favor, your personal injury attorney will continue to support you by:
- Ensuring that the insurance company or defendant pays the agreed-upon compensation
- Addressing any liens or subrogation claims from medical providers or other parties
- Assisting with any necessary appeals or post-trial motions
- Throughout the entire process, your attorney will be there to answer your questions, provide guidance, and advocate for your best interests.
Contact Ferrante & Dill, LLC Today!
Involvement in a car accident can be a life-altering event, but an expert personal injury attorney can make all the difference in your recovery. At Ferrante & Dill, LLC, our experienced attorneys are dedicated to helping car accident victims of Calver County secure the compensation they need to rebuild their lives. If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, contact us today at (410) 535-6100 for a free consultation.